Monday 8 October 2012

Keep on running

(source)

Running.

It’s quite a strange type of exercise when you think about it; running to a place just to turn around and go back the way you came, or running in a loop and, quite literally, ending up where you started. It seems quite disheartening and pointless when it's put in those terms. If you believe these things, however, you're wrong. Just over a week ago my Mum and I competed in the Bristol Half Marathon and I can honestly say that I've never experienced anything like the elation I felt when I crossed the finish line after 13.1 long and sweaty miles. 

I convinced my Mum to take part in the half-marathon with me in a moment of inspiration following a couple of friends completing marathons – if they could do that surely I could do a half marathon?! It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Needless to say that once it came to the training, the reality of that godforsaken distance really hit home. I don't think people realise just quite how long 1 mile is, let alone 13. I can  now announce, with insider knowledge, that it's really bloody far. Yes, that is the technical description. Despite the struggles with training, the thoughts of 'WHY?!' everytime a run loomed and the inevitable unsightly blisters and black toenails (c'mon, we're all friends here), we crossed the finish line with a time of 2hrs 24mins and an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. 

I've never been a 'runner'. I try to keep fit in different ways such as going to the gym, doing exercise DVDs (The Tracy Anderson Method Dance Cardio is a firm favourite, in case you're wondering) and following YouTube videos but running was never ever my first choice. Needless to say I never thought I'd finish a half-marathon high on life and having loved every minute of it. But I did, I really did. The atmosphere, the people shouting encouragment throughout, the sensation of thinking 'I can do this...I am doing this!';  all of it. The post-run lunch of gourmet sausage rolls and chips wasn't bad either.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you're thinking about taking up running, do it. Sign up for a local fun run or perhaps a half-marathon that's taking place in your city; I think having an event to work towards is really inspiring. You will at times be ready to give up and wonder where the hell this ridiculous idea came from (ahem, guilty) but if you stick at it, you'll achieve something great, I promise. It doesn't even have to be running; my point is that you can achieve anything you put your mind to, and the feeling when that happens is amazing. I did, and I can't wait to surprise myself even more in the future.

If a person who hasn't run in a week and is in bed wearing a onesie whilst eating pudding doesn't inspire you, then I don't know what will... Can you say 'hypocrite'?!

Chem x

No comments:

Post a Comment